TEWKSBURY TOWN HALL
Funded completely through the Community Preservation Act, this project was many years in the making. Prominently located at the town common on Main Street, this 1920 town hall building was beloved by the residents, but not very functional for modern municipal offices. Plagued by roof leaks and drafty windows, the building was in general disrepair. A long ramp added to the side and front of the building provided handicapped access to the first floor, but ground and second floors remained inaccessible. A large double-height meeting hall occupied major portions of the first and second floors, squeezing public officials into tiny offices. Supported by the Community Preservation Committee and the Historical Commission, the final design combines the benefits of a brand new facility with the architectural character of an old building. The meeting hall was reduced in length by one third to create more usable space on the first and second floors. A small elevator addition on the parking lot side of the building provides handicapped access to all floors, while at the same time, restores the front facade to its clean symmetrical presentation. Two new vaults provide environmentally controlled storage for records and historical documents.